How do I get notified of changes in my Dropbox?
To be notified of changes that occur in your Dropbox, you can either turn on notifications in the desktop application on your computer or subscribe to a Dropbox RSS feed using your favorite RSS feed reader.
Turn on desktop notifications
The desktop application can display notifications on your computer whenever a change is detected in your Dropbox. You can turn notifications on or off in the application's preferences.
- Click on the Dropbox icon from your menu bar (Mac) or system tray (Win/Linux)
- Click on the gear icon and select Preferences... from the menu
- Check the box next to Show desktop notifications
How do I enable or disable notifications on my iOS device?
Currently the Dropbox iOS app provides push notifications for your shared folder invitations, and when links are shared with you. To enable or disable these notification:
- Open your device's Settings
- Select Notifications
- Select Dropbox
On iOS 8 devices, you can also see notifications for your account from the Today view widget:
- While your screen is unlocked, swipe down from the top of your screen to bring down the Notifications Center
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Edit
- Tap the green "+" icon next to Dropbox (you can also move or reorder Dropbox by using the slider bar on the right)
Desktop notifications can be a great productivity solution. Check out this blog post to learn more.
Subscribe to your Dropbox's RSS feed from the Dropbox website
If you prefer to use an RSS reader to be notified of changes to your Dropbox, you can get an RSS feed from the Dropbox website.
- Sign in to the Dropbox website (if you haven't already)
- Click on Events in the sidebar on the left
- By default, the RSS feed will show all the events from your entire Dropbox. If you want to get updates only about a specific shared folder, select it from the pull-down menu above the Changes list. If you're using Dropbox for Business, you need to select the individual folders you want to view notifications for
- Click the orange button with the RSS symbol.
- In the pop-up window, copy the URL of the RSS feed
- In your RSS reader, use the "Subscribe" feature and paste the URL when prompted. Once you've subscribed to the feed, you'll get updates about your Dropbox just like any other feed you subscribe to
Disable your RSS feeds
Don't like having RSS feeds available? Visit your Account Settings to turn them off.