How do I select an event to recover deleted files from?
Sections in this article:
- How do I undo a deletion event (affecting multiple files or folders)?
- How do I recover select files or folders?
- Why did my files go missing?
- How do I get a link to a deletion event?
- Instructions for account rollbacks.
- Sign in to the Dropbox website.
- Click Trash in the left sidebar.
- If the event you're looking for occurred in a shared folder, select the shared folder from the pull-down menu at the top of the page.
- Look for the event where multiple files were deleted and click the and X more files link.
- Locate the deletion event that includes the files you want to recover and click the Restore button.
- In the pop-up that appears, click Restore all files to add these files back to your Dropbox.
- Restorations can take time if there's a large number of files to restore.
- The Trash page does not list deletion events that occured in a "mixed" event, or when deletions happened in combination with adding or editing files. If you'd like to view deletions that were a part of a mixed event, go to your Events page by typing www.dropbox.com/events into a browser window. To restore deleted files that are part of a mixed event, reach out to our support team with the mixed event link and they will perform an account rollback.
You can recover any file or folder deleted in the last 30 days from the Dropbox website (or longer, if you have a Dropbox for Business account, or a Dropbox Pro account with Extended Version History).
- Click the trash can icon near the search box at the top of the file browser.
- All deleted files and folders will appear in the list in gray. Select the deleted file or folder you want to recover by clicking the empty space to the right of its name.
- Hint: You can select multiple files or folders at once by pressing the shift (PC) or command (Mac) key as you click
If you are in contact with our support team regarding an account rollback, you will be asked to provide an event link.
- We roll back your main Dropbox folder and shared folders separately. To facilitate this you need to provide separate event links for your main folder and for any shared folders you'd also like rolled back. Each folder will be rolled back to their exact state prior to the event link you sent. Any changes made after that event will be overwritten. It may be useful to make a copy outside of your Dropbox of any files you have recently edited so that you don't lose important changes.
- We can only roll back shared folders for which you have owner or editor permissions.
If you would still like to proceed with the account rollback, please find the information you need in the Get a link to the event you'd like to undo instructions and provide it to our support agents.