Why did my payment fail?
Dropbox displays an error message in a red box if a payment is declined; however, the error message is not always useful for troubleshooting potential issues.
In most cases, credit card declines are easily fixed by reentering your billing information, checking to make sure you enter information correctly.
If reentering your billing information doesn't solve the problem, here are additional troubleshooting steps to consider:
- Call your bank or credit card company
- Your bank or credit card company may have blocked the charge. You can lift the block by calling your bank and letting them know that you're attempting a legitimate charge.
- Use a different card
- Use PayPal instead
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Click your name in the top-right corner of the page.
- Click Settings.
- Click the Profile tab.
- Under Payment method, click Change.
- Select the PayPal option, and enter the requested information.
Dropbox Pro users: change your payment method to PayPal
Still need help?
If you've contacted your payment vendor and attempted all the above steps, but your payment is still not processing, submit a support request. When submitting a support request, make sure that you're signed in to your account.
Dropbox Business admins can also contact support by opening their Admin Console and clicking the Help tab.
For our advanced users
For PayPal transactions, a full list of error codes and their descriptions, as reported by the banks authorizing the transactions, can be found on the PayPal website.