Two-step verification is a highly recommended security feature that can add an extra layer of protection for any Dropbox account. Enabling two-step verification means that Dropbox will require a six-digit security code—in addition to a password—when you sign in to your account, or when you link a new computer, phone, or tablet. This six-digit code is generated using an authenticator app on your mobile device, or else via text message sent to your mobile phone.
Dropbox Business team admins have the option of requiring two-step verification for each member of their team.
If you're a team admin and have questions about requiring two-step verification on your Dropbox Business account you can scroll down, or click one of these links to be taken directly to specific answers:
- How do I set two-step verification as a requirement for my team?
- How will required two-step verification affect my team?
- How do I reset two-step verification for a team member, and what will happen when I do that?
- What will a team member see when setting up two-step verification?
If you're a Dropbox Business team member and have questions about two-step verification, click one of these links to be taken directly to specific instructions:
- How do I set up two-step verification on my account as a Dropbox Business team member?
- How do I set a phone number or change my phone number for two-step verification?
- What do I do if I've lost my phone or no longer have access to it?
Dropbox Business team admins can require two-step verification for all members of a team, or for selected team members. New team members will be prompted to set up two-step verification during the account creation process.
- Note: Requiring two-step verification will not affect open Dropbox sessions for existing team members. Instead, existing team members will be required to set up two-step verification the very next time they attempt to sign in to Dropbox.
- Team members will not be protected by two-step verification until they set it up. Team admins can track setup progress in the members tab.
To set two-step verification as a requirement for your team:
- Sign in to dropbox.com with your admin account.
- Click Admin Console.
- Click Authentication.
- Select Require two-step verification.
- Select whether you'd like to require two-step verification for some or all team members.
- If you've selected Require for specific members, enter the email addresses of the team members you'd like to use two-step verification, and then click Proceed.
- Two-step verification will now be active, and you will see this reflected on the Authentication page.
Newly invited members will be required to enable two-step verification after accepting the invitation to join your team.
Existing members will be required to enable two-step verification the next time they sign in.
- Note: Requiring two-step verification will not log your team member out of their devices or web sessions, and won't interrupt their workflow
- Note: Existing team members who try to connect a new computer or mobile device as their first sign-in after two-step verification is enabled will be directed to to the Dropbox website to sign in (and set up two-step verification)
If one of your team members loses a device, you can quickly reset two-step verification for their Dropbox account:
- Open the Admin Console.
- Click the Members tab.
- Locate the team member, and click the gear icon next to that person's name.
- Click Reset two-step verification.
- Team members will see the screen below; clicking Get Started will prompt them to enter their password to ensure secure access.