Dropbox has created an add-in that integrates with Microsoft Outlook. By connecting the Dropbox add-in to your Outlook account, you can:
- Replace email attachments with a shared link to any file, big or small
- Save email attachments that you receive directly to your Dropbox account
- Ensure those with access to a file see updates to it (since shared links always point to the latest version of a file, whereas attachments are just a static copy)
Enabling the integration adds a Dropbox icon to the Outlook compose window. When you click this icon a pop-up window appears, allowing you to select from the contents of your Dropbox. A shared link to any selected file or folder will appear in the body of the email.
While this link looks like an attachment, it's in fact a shared link. This means no slow-down in sending emails, and no space limitations in your inbox.
The Dropbox add-in for Outlook is available for email accounts hosted on Microsoft Exchange 2013 or later. This is available on the following:
- Office 365
- Exchange Online
- On-premise installations
Note: POP/IMAP email accounts like Gmail are not supported.
The Dropbox add-in works with the following versions of Outlook:
- Outlook on web
- On Windows, the Dropbox add-in is available on versions 2013 and 2016 of the Outlook desktop application
- On Mac, the Dropbox add-in is available on version 2016 of the Outlook desktop application
Note: Outlook on mobile, and older versions of Outlook on your desktop, are not supported.
How to install the Dropbox for Outlook add-in
You’ll need to install the Dropbox for Outlook add-in through Microsoft’s AppSource before you can use the add-in.
- Navigate to Microsoft’s AppSource listing for the Dropbox for Outlook add-in.
- Click GET IT NOW.
- Enter your Microsoft account credentials.
- Click Continue.
- Click Add.
- Make sure the correct email account is selected. Then, click Continue.
- You’ll be brought to your Outlook account. Click Install.
- Click OK.
You’ll now see Dropbox in your list of add-ins in your Outlook account.
Note: If you are a Dropbox Business team member and you’re unable to install the add-in, your admin may have add-ins restricted. Please contact your admin for help.
Configure and use the Dropbox add-in for Outlook
Once you or your admin install the add-in, you’ll see the Dropbox add-in available for use with your email account on supported email clients. To get started, simply click the Dropbox icon in the Outlook ribbon or email header to open the add-in, then sign into your Dropbox account.
The first time you use the add-in, some web browsers may display a security alert asking you to allow the Internet Low-Mic Utility Tool to open content. Click Allow to use the add-in.
Attach a file from your Dropbox account to an email
- When composing an email in Outlook, click the Dropbox icon to access your Dropbox account.
- Select the files or folders you’d like to include in your email.
- Click Choose; a shared link is generated for each file or folder you select.
Save an attachment to your Dropbox account
- When you receive an email with attachments or Dropbox shared links, click the Dropbox button in the Outlook ribbon or email header.
- Select the attachments you’d like to save to your Dropbox account.
- Choose a location in your Dropbox to save the attachments.
There are some known limitations for the integration.
Windows Users: The first time you use the add-in, certain web browsers may display a security alert asking you to allow the Internet Low-Mic Utility Tool to open content. You’ll need to click Allow to use the add-in.