Anyone who’s logged in with access to a file in Dropbox can leave a comment on it, unless commenting is turned off. Anyone who has access to a file can view comments.
How to comment on a file
To comment on a file from your computer, phone, or tablet:
- Open the file you want to comment on.
- To comment on the entire page or image, click the text box that says Write a comment. This will highlight the page you're viewing.
- You can type your comment, @ mention someone, or add an emoji.
- Click Post.
- To comment on a specific part of a file, drag to highlight the desired area.
- Click the text box that says Write a comment, type your comment, and click Post.
Learn how to comment on a video or audio file.
Learn how to comment on text in a PDF.
How are comments ordered in the comment pane?
Comments are listed in order from the start of the file to the end of the file. If the file has multiple pages, the comments will indicate which page the comment was left on.
Who is notified when I leave a comment?
The following people will receive an email and a notification both on dropbox.com and on their connected devices:
- The file owner
- Anyone who has commented on the file
- Anyone who was @mentioned in your comment
Note: Anyone who has access to view the file can see its comments.
Learn how to change your notification preferences.
How to reply to comments
To reply to a comment:
- Open the file you want to comment on, even if it was shared with you.
- On the right side of your screen (computer) or at the bottom (mobile), you’ll see the Comments pane.
- Hover your mouse over an existing comment.
- Click Reply to open a text box.
- Type your comment.
- Click Post.
You can also reply to a comment you're tagged in by responding directly to the notification email. Your response will appear in the comment pane of that file.