File activity is a log of the latest activity on a file, folder, or project.
- Owners and editors of a file can see activity on that file; they can also see when someone changes or edits the file
- Viewers (those who can view a file because they've received a shared link to it) can't see file activity
View file activity
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Open a file.
- Click "→" (arrow icon) to show the sidebar.
- Click Activity.
In the Activity tab, you can see who performed an action and when the action happened. This includes when a file is:
You can also see sharing actions, including when:
- The file was shared
- Member roles changed
- The file was unshared
File activity shows the entire history of a file, and any person with access to edit a file will see the same file history.
- If your account has access to viewer info, you can also see who viewed a file, and whether they're currently viewing that file
- If a file is downloaded and edits are made outside of Dropbox, these edits are not reflected on the file and aren’t recorded
- Viewing activity (whether someone else viewed a file) will only be available if viewer info is enabled for that individual file
File activity and file version history