The amount of time Dropbox stores previous versions of your files depends on the plan you have:
- Basic (free): 30 days
- Plus: 30 days
- Professional: 120 days
- Business (Standard, Advanced, Enterprise, or Education): 120 days
Note: If you previously purchased extended version history on your Dropbox Plus account, you have one full year to recover previous versions. However, the extended version history add-on is no longer available for purchase.
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Select the file you'd like see previous versions of.
- Right click the file name.
- Click Version history.
- Select one of the versions to preview it.
- To restore to an older version, click the Restore button.
Does version history use my storage quota?
No, version history doesn't take up any of your available storage quota.
Do offline file edits appear in version history?
Version history is not updated when a file is edited offline.
For example, if you edit and save a text file multiple times without an internet connection, then each edit won’t be reflected in the version history for that file. Once your device comes back online, offline edits will sync as the current version for that file. If there's a chance that you'll need to access an older version of a file, then we suggest only making edits when your device is online.
What happens if I rename a file?
When you rename a file, the version history of that file continues and file rename event is listed. Any subsequent versions of the file will have the new name.
What happens if I move a file?
The version history page for the file lists the move and the folder that the file was moved to.
What happens if I share a file?
The version history for that file continues, and the sharing event is listed as a move to a new folder.
What happens if I restore a file to before it was renamed or moved?
If you restore a file to a version that existed before the file was moved or renamed, the older version will be restored in the file’s current location and with its current name.
Here are two examples:
- Move: You have a file named draft.txt in your "Drafts" folder. You move draft.txt to the "Finished" folder. Later, you decide to restore a version of draft.txt that existed before this move. The older version of draft.txt is restored in its current location inside the "Finished" folder.
- Rename: You rename draft.docx to finished.docx. Then you restore a version from before the rename. The older version is restored under the current name: finished.docx.