Dropbox expires passwords periodically as a proactive security measure. If your password has expired, you’ll need to update it before you can access your Dropbox account again. You’ll also need to update your password before linking a new computer, phone, tablet, or API app.
If your password has expired, you’ll see this message the next time you try to sign in to dropbox.com:
How to update an expired password
To update an expired password, you’ll either need to reset your password through a linked device or follow these instructions:
- Open dropbox.com in your web browser.
- Try to sign in with your expired password.
- When you see the message above, enter the email address associated with your Dropbox account.
- If you don’t see the message above, you can go directly to the password update page.
- Click Send Email.
- You should receive an email with a link to change your password. Click the link in this email, and follow the prompts to reset your password.
What else can I do to keep my Dropbox account secure?
Dropbox will occasionally expire passwords to help keep your account secure. In addition to resetting your password, there are some additional steps you can take to keep your data safe:
For additional resources on keeping your accounts secure, please visit our security and privacy page.