Dropbox is the world’s first smart workspace that helps people and teams focus on the work that matters. With more than 600 million registered users across 180 countries, we’re on a mission to design a more enlightened way of working. Dropbox is headquartered in San Francisco, CA, and has 12 offices around the world.
Our Engineering team is working to simplify the way people work together. They’re building a family of products that handle over a billion files a day for people around the world. With our broad mission and massive scale, there are countless opportunities to make an impact.
Work has become too complicated. When you spend your days bouncing between chat threads, status updates, and multiple file types, keeping track of all the details can feel like a second job. Dropbox Spaces brings all of your team’s content and tools together in one place. Traditional files live next to cloud content, such as Google and O365 docs. Spaces pulls in connections to Slack, Zoom and other tools as well.
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to take on the role of Director of Engineering, Applications. This organization leads the development of our web and desktop applications that integrate all this content and tools, to reduce distractions and take busywork off your plate, so you can focus on the work that matters.
This set of teams owns the full product stack from cross-platform user experience to core infrastructure powering key capabilities. Our Web and Desktop applications simplify the complexity of your daily work life with intuitive UI/UX that helps you focus and prioritize. Our core search and metadata capabilities aim to power a single search box to find what you are looking for regardless of what it is or where it lives. We integrate innovative machine learning to power content understanding, such as image search and character recognition, to show you what you are looking for regardless of content type.
The ideal candidate is deeply technical, understands how to balance product delivery with engineering quality, and operate across organizational and discipline boundaries. Experience building and operating highly engaging consumer facing products is highly preferred. The leader we are looking for will have experience with both agile, iterative product development and launching new innovative tech. Join us in building the "new Dropbox"!
- You will lead that team in balancing between urgency and the incredible high quality bar expected by both our customers and the broader Dropbox engineering teams through clear repeatable engineering processes
- You will set technical strategy and direction as well as partner deeply with both Product and Design leadership
- Create a culture of strong technical ownership resulting in highly reliable services at massive scale
- You'll foster a healthy and collaborative culture that embodies Dropbox's values and continue to develop Dropbox as one of the best places to work
- You will easily navigate cross team expectations and provide clear succinct communication to other senior leaders across Dropbox, while recognizing the inherent challenges of a remote engineering site
- 12+ years of engineering experience in a medium or larger software company including 4+ years managing high performance teams
- Experience leading engineering organizations delivering customer facing products
- Demonstrated ability to hire and grow senior leaders and managers
- Experience creating strong technical leadership within the organization, fostering strong technical craft mastery and engineering discipline
- Deep organization capabilities, especially in influence, collaboration and communication with a global multi-site engineering, product and design organizational structure
- BS degree in a technical or design related discipline (CS preferred)
- Large scale SaaS cloud application design and management preferred
Benefits and Perks
- 100% company paid individual medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage
- 401k + company match
- Market competitive total compensation package
- Free Dropbox space for your friends and family
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Generous vacation policy
- 10 company paid holidays
- Volunteer time off
- Company sponsored tech talks (technology and other relevant professional topics)
Dropbox is an equal opportunity employer. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is our support for members and allies of internal groups like Asians at Dropbox, BlackDropboxers, Latinx, Pridebox (LGBTQ), Vets at Dropbox, Women at Dropbox, ATX Diversity (based in Austin, Texas) and the Dropbox Empowerment Network (based in Dublin, Ireland).