With file requests you can collect and receive files — big or small — from anyone, right into Dropbox. File requests are ideal for receiving a large file or collection of files, and requesting submissions from coworkers and clients.
- File requests allow you to get files from anyone whether they have a Dropbox account or not.
- File requests help you receive large files easily. Submitters can send files up to 2 GB (on Basic accounts) or 10 GB (on Pro or Business accounts). Uploaded files must fit within the size of your Dropbox account’s storage quota.
- With file requests you can organize everything in one place. All collected files are automatically organized into a single Dropbox folder.
- You can use file requests to keep files private. People who upload files to your file request cannot access your Dropbox, and only you can view files uploaded by others (unless you decide to share them).
To create a file request:
- Sign in to the Dropbox website.
- Open File requests.
- Click Create a new file request.
- Under What are you requesting?, enter a name for the folder that will store all collected files.
- Under Where should these files go in your Dropbox?, you’ll see the path to the new folder populate. If you’d like to change the folder’s location, click Change folder.
- Click the Next button.
- On the Send file request screen you can copy the file request link and include it in an email by clicking the Copy link button. Or you can enter emails of the people you need files from, and we’ll send an invitation to upload files to the file request for you.
- Click Done to send the email invitations and to return to the File requests screen.
Note: The new folder that you’ve created is where files uploaded to your file request are stored in your Dropbox. By default the uploaded files are private; however, you can share the uploaded files by selecting a shared folder or by sending a link to the files.
Note: We’ll also email you whenever people upload files to your file request.
To invite people to upload files to your file request:
Hover over the file request and click Add people.