- Dropbox introduces Smart Sync—the industry’s first cross-platform, on-demand cloud storage solution
- Dropbox Paper, a flexible workspace for teams, officially launches in 21 languages worldwide
- All new Dropbox web interface brings modern collaboration to files
- Three new business packages allow companies to tailor Dropbox to their needs
SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 30, 2017 — Dropbox today launched a series of new products and business solutions that will transform the future of teamwork. Companies are increasingly organizing themselves around teams, and Dropbox is building the tools they need to be creative and productive. Today’s launches include Smart Sync (formerly Project Infinite), Dropbox Paper, a redesigned Dropbox web interface with improved collaboration features, and new Dropbox Business packages.
“We’re redesigning Dropbox to be fundamentally designed for teams,” said Drew Houston, co-founder and CEO of Dropbox. “We’re reinventing sync, bringing a modern collaboration experience to all your files, and launching Paper, a new way to work together that goes beyond the document. And we’re building this all on top of a strong business foundation—we’ve reached $1 billion in revenue run rate faster than any other SaaS company in history.”
According to IDC, Dropbox is among only five SaaS companies in history to cross $1 billion in revenue run rate. “With Dropbox’s announcement that their subscription business has surpassed $1 billion in revenue run rate, they have become the fastest software-as-a-service (SaaS) company to reach this milestone to date,” said IDC analyst Robert Mahowald, Group Vice President, Applications and Cloud. "No SaaS company to date has been able to cross that threshold faster than Dropbox.”
Bring your file server to the cloud with Smart Sync
Smart Sync is a Dropbox feature that makes all the content in a user’s Dropbox account seamlessly accessible from their desktop file system — and the content takes up virtually no local disk space until it’s needed. Smart Sync works across Windows and Mac computers, and is fully backwards compatible to Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.9. This is the industry’s first cross-platform, on-demand cloud storage solution.
Smart Sync works on all files and folders in a Dropbox Business account. Paired with the recently released Dropbox team folders, Dropbox becomes a centrally manageable, secure hub for teams to work together on all their files. These solutions make teamwork easy and transparent by default. Team members gain full visibility and unprecedented access to their entire Dropbox right from their desktop file system, no matter how large. Smart Sync is available to Dropbox Business teams in early access starting today. For more information, visit dropbox.com/business/smartsync.
Move beyond the document with Paper
Dropbox Paper is a flexible workspace that brings people and ideas together. Users in more than 200 countries and territories created millions of Paper documents while the product was in beta. Starting today, Dropbox Paper is generally available in 21 languages around the world. Paper users will now also be able to add due dates and assign owners to tasks, providing teams with even greater project management capabilities within Paper. The company also provided an early preview of projects, a shared space in Paper where teams can organize content, which will be rolling out to select teams starting today.
Other recently released features include:
- Presentation mode
- Smart meeting notes with Google Calendar integration
- Improved search functionality
- Mobile folder functionality on iOS and Android
- Improved accessibility features
- eDiscovery and security API
Updates for Dropbox Paper on iOS and Android will also become available in the coming months to enable mobile offline functionality and localization in 21 languages. Paper is available for free to all Dropbox users at dropbox.com/paper.
Bring modern collaboration to files with new web user interface
Dropbox is introducing a redesigned website, built with team-first functionality. The new interface helps users stay focused on the task at hand while easily accessing related content, and makes the separation between personal and work accounts clearer. Today, Dropbox is also showcasing a tech preview of a new home page experience that provides a unified feed of updates for a team’s Dropbox files and Paper docs. New collaborator presence avatars also help teams stay up to date on who has viewed shared documents and when. This viewer info feature is rolling out in early access to Dropbox Business teams starting today.
Tailor Dropbox to suit your business needs with new plans
Along with this introduction of powerful new features and a smarter web interface, Dropbox is introducing three new business plans. The new plans and pricing allow customers to pay for only the features and storage they need.
New Dropbox Business plans include:
- Standard ($12.50/user/month, starting at five users) for teams needing powerful storage, sharing, and collaboration tools.
- Advanced ($20/user/month, starting at five users) for teams and businesses seeking more sophisticated admin, audit, and integration features.
- Enterprise (contact for pricing details) for larger businesses requiring scalable custom solutions with individualized support.
More details on feature sets and pricing can be found on the Dropbox plans page.
- Find additional resources on today’s announcement in our press kit
- Follow Dropbox on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- Follow Dropbox Business on Twitter
- Learn about how Dropbox Smart Sync is changing file storage
- Get started using Dropbox Paper
- Find details on new Dropbox business plans and pricing on the plans page
Dropbox keeps more than 500 million registered users on the same page with easy-to-use collaboration tools and the fastest, most-reliable file sync platform. From the smallest business to the largest enterprise, we make teamwork better. For more information, please visit dropbox.com/news.