Dropbox Space Race FAQ
Space Race has ended
Huge thanks to everyone who participated!
Have some burning questions about the Dropbox Space Race? You've come to the right place.
- Is my school eligible yet for Space Race?
- I signed up for Space Race. Where's my 3 GB?
- How do I score more points for my school?
- Will I get a regular referral bonus for inviting people to Space Race?
- My school uses different domains for email. Will they count as the same school?
- Are university alumni eligible for Space Race?
- What happens when the space I've earned expires on March 4, 2015?
- Can I change the Dropbox account I'm using for Space Race?
- Can I withdraw my account from Space Race?
Is my school eligible yet for Space Race?
To score points and earn free space, your school must be a college, university, or higher education institution with at least 25 people who have signed up for Space Race.
If your school hasn't officially qualified yet, we're still verifying that it meets the requirements. Hang tight! We'll send you an email if your school's status changes.
I signed up for Space Race. Where's my 3 GB?
If you don't see the extra space in your account, here are some things to check:
- Make sure your school is eligible. Keep in mind that 25 people from your school need to sign up for you to earn the first 3 GB.
- Make sure you've met the requirements.When you sign up for Space Race, you need to verify your school email address by clicking on the link in the email we send you. (If you don't see the verification email in your inbox, check your spam folder.) You also need to install the Dropbox desktop app on your computer.
How do I score more points for my school?
Please note that Space Race ends on December 10, 2012. Signing up or completing the "Get Started" guide after that date won't count toward your school's point total.
Will I get a regular referral bonus for inviting people to Space Race?
If the people you invite are new to Dropbox, and they sign up and install Dropbox on their computer, you can earn a regular referral bonus in addition to the points you score for Space Race.
If you've already reached the maximum amount of referral bonus space (16 GB for free accounts and 32 GB for paid accounts), you won't earn a referral bonus, but you'll still qualify for any free space earned from Space Race.
My school uses different domains for email. Will they count as the same school?
Yes. Even if your school uses different domains (for example, rci.rutgers.edu and ruccs.rutgers.edu) in email addresses, they will all count as part of the same school when it comes to scoring points and earning free space.
Are university alumni eligible for Space Race?
Sorry—Space Race is only for current students, faculty, and staff at eligible universities.
If your school uses an "alumni" email address for current students, you may still be eligible for Space Race. Please contact us and we'll look into it.
What happens when the space I've earned expires on March 4, 2015?
As with any paid account or promotion that expires, all of the files in your Dropbox folder will still be available to you on your computers, phones, and via the Dropbox website. However, Dropbox will only sync the amount of space allotted to your Dropbox account. This means that new files added to your Dropbox will not sync to other computers or be available online until the amount of disk space used in your Dropbox drops below the amount of Dropbox space allotted to your account. See an example.
The space you've earned from regular referral bonuses or other activities will not be affected when the Space Race promotion expires.
Can I change the Dropbox account I'm using for Space Race?
Yes! We've now made it possible to change the Dropbox account you use for Space Race—without losing free space or points you've already earned. Take the following steps:
- Sign in to the Dropbox account you don't want to use
- Remove this account from Space Race
- Sign up for Space Race again with the Dropbox account you want to use
When prompted, be sure to verify the same school email address you entered before so that any free space and points will be transferred.
Can I withdraw my account from Space Race?
Yes, you can remove your Dropbox account from Space Race.