What is Extended Version History?
Extended Version History is Dropbox's add-on file recovery feature for Dropbox Pro subscribers. This feature preserves up to one year of file history, and replaces our Packrat unlimited version history add-on.
Existing Pro users who also used the Packrat feature were able to opt in to keep unlimited version history through November 1, 2014. After that date, all Packrat subscribers who had not opted in were automatically transitioned to Extended Version History at the start of their next billing cycle.
Click here to learn more about recovering old versions of files.
Dropbox for Business accounts will continue to have unlimited version history.
By default, Dropbox saves all deleted and previous versions of your files for 30 days. If you purchase Extended Version History, you can revert to a previous file version or recover a deleted file at any time within a year of an edit or deletion made after your purchase.
Extended Version History is available to all Dropbox Pro users as a subscription add-on.
Note: If you purchase Dropbox Pro in the App Store or Google Play marketplace you will not see an option to add Extended Version History. If you would like to include Extended Version History in your Pro subscription, please purchase on the Dropbox website.
If you'd like further protection, you can upgrade to Dropbox for Business, which includes unlimited version history.
Purchasing Extended Version History
- If you have a Dropbox Basic account, you'll need to upgrade to Dropbox Pro to add Extended Version History.
- If you already have a Dropbox Pro subscription, sign in to the Dropbox website and select Extended Version History from your account settings.
- Dropbox for Business users have unlimited version history and can access any deleted and previous file versions. If you've connected your personal and work accounts, unlimited version history will only apply to your Dropbox for Business account. If you'd like Extended Version History for your personal account, you'll need to add it separately from your account settings after upgrading to Dropbox Pro.
For our advanced users
- Extended Version History is not retroactive. If a file was deleted or changed over 30 days ago, upgrading to Extended Version History will not make it available again.
- Permanently deleted files are not recoverable with Extended Version History. Learn how to delete files, and learn what happens after you delete a file.
- Previous versions and deleted files do not count against your storage quota, with or without the Extended Version History add-on.
- Deleting a shared folder is the same as leaving that folder. After you leave a shared folder, Extended Version History will no longer be in effect for the content in that shared folder because it will no longer be linked to your account. If you rejoin the folder within 30 days of leaving it, deleted and previous versions of files from before the folder was left will still be recoverable with Extended Version History.