What is Packrat?
« Back to Help Center
Packrat is a feature that gives you unlimited deletion recovery and version history.
By default, Dropbox saves a history of all deleted and earlier versions of files for 30 days for all Dropbox accounts. If you purchase the Packrat add-on for your account, Dropbox will save your files for as long as you have the feature, so you won't have to worry about losing a deleted folder or file.
Packrat is available to all Dropbox Pro accounts for $3.99 per month or $39.00 per year, depending on your billing cycle. It is included without any additional cost for all Dropbox for Business accounts.
Upgrading to Packrat
- If you have a Dropbox Basic account, you'll have the option to add the Packrat feature (in your account settings) after you upgrade to Dropbox Pro.
- If you already have a Dropbox Pro account, sign in to the Dropbox website and select the add-on from your account settings.
- Dropbox for Business users don't have to do anything to add Packrat to their account. The feature is included with every Business account and all file revisions are saved indefinitely by default. If you've connected your personal and work accounts, Packrat will only automatically apply to your Dropbox for Business account. If you'd like to have Packrat for your personal account, you'll need to add that separately.
See a short video on how Packrat, our indefinite deletion recovery and version history feature, can work for you.
For our advanced users
- Packrat is not retroactive. If your file was deleted or changed over 30 days ago, upgrading to Packrat will not make them available again.
- Previous versions and deleted files do not count against your storage quota, with or without the Packrat add-on.
- All accounts, including Basic accounts, get 30 days of file history.
- Deleting a shared folder is the same as leaving that folder. After you leave a shared folder, Packrat will no longer be in effect for the content in that shared folder because it will no longer be linked to your account. If you rejoin the folder within 30 days of leaving it, deleted and previous versions of files from before the folder was left will still be recoverable with Packrat.
Was this article helpful? Yes No