How do I unlink or relink a computer, phone, or tablet from my account?
« Back to Help Center
To change the account your computer is linked to, first unlink the computer in your account settings or desktop application preferences.
Unlinking your computer from your Dropbox account means Dropbox will no longer sync changes to the files and folders in the Dropbox folder on that computer, effectively turning off the Dropbox service. The files themselves remain untouched in your Dropbox folder.
To unlink your computer from your account:
Unlink a computer from the Dropbox website
- Sign in to the Dropbox website.
- Click your name at the top-right of any page to open the account menu.
- Select Settings from the account menu.
- Select the Security tab. Click here for a shortcut.
- In the My devices section, click Unlink next to the computer you want to unlink.
option on the Security
Unlink your Windows computer from the desktop application
- Click on the Dropbox icon from your system tray. You may need to click on the arrow to show all system tray icons.
The Dropbox icon on the system tray
- Click the gear icon and select Preferences... from the menu.
- Select the Account tab.
- Click on Unlink this computer...
Unlink your computer
from Dropbox preferences
At this point, your account is unlinked and Dropbox will prompt you to link your computer to another account or prompt you to create a new account. If you are linking your computer to another account, you may want to move your old Dropbox folder somewhere else first. Otherwise, when you link another account, Dropbox will ask if you want to merge its existing files with your new account.
Was this article helpful? Yes No