What do I need to know about Carousel shutting down?
On March 31, 2016 we shut down Carousel as a standalone app, and returned to a single Dropbox photo experience. All your photos are safe in Dropbox, but the Carousel app for iOS and Android stopped functioning as of March 31, 2016.
Read below for answers to some frequently asked questions about Carousel shutting down.
What happened to my photos?
Your photos have always been backed up to Dropbox, so they're still safely stored in Dropbox and viewable and sharable on all of your devices through the Dropbox app or on dropbox.com. You can use Dropbox to access your photos in the following two ways:
- By visiting the Photos tab on Dropbox iOS, Dropbox Android, and dropbox.com, which each offer a gallery view of all the photos stored in your Dropbox
- By accessing the files and folders view on the Dropbox desktop app or mobile app
- The Camera Uploads folder contains photos that were automatically backed up from your phone or camera
- The Carousel folder contains saved photos shared with you through Carousel
- You can also find photos in any other Dropbox folder where you've saved them
What happened to the private albums that I created in Carousel?
You can continue to access your private albums using Dropbox.
To view your photos on dropbox.com:
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Click Photos in the left sidebar.
- Click Albums in the left sidebar.
To view your photos on the Dropbox Android app:
- Open the main menu.
- Tap Photos.
- Tab Albums.
The Dropbox iOS app does not currently support album functionality.
What happened to the shared albums that I created in Carousel?
Until May 31, 2016, you had the option to export all photos and conversation text from your Carousel shared albums to your Dropbox. However, you no longer have the option to export shared albums content.
Can I still back up my photos automatically?
Yes, the same automatic backup functionality is available through the Dropbox mobile app on iOS or Android.
To begin using the Dropbox mobile app to back up your photos, follow these steps:
- Uninstall the Carousel app from your device.
- Open the Dropbox app.
- Open the Settings menu.
- Verify that Camera Uploads is enabled.
Will I lose the bonus space I earned by installing Carousel?
If you received a 3 GB bonus for installing and backing up photos through Carousel, that space is yours to keep.
What happened to the Free up space feature?
We're still working on the Free up space feature, and hope to have updates later this year.
What happens to my hidden photos and videos?
The Dropbox photo experience will not have a dedicated view for your hidden photos and videos. The photos you had hidden in Carousel are still in your Dropbox, but not visible within the gallery view of the Photos tab. To unhide these photos:
- Locate the photos you've hidden in your files or folders view.
- Drag the photos out of your Dropbox folder.
- Put the photos back into your Dropbox.
- These photos will now be unhidden and will appear in the Photos tab on dropbox.com and on the Dropbox mobile apps.