Admins have two options when removing members from a Dropbox Business team:
- Delete the team member
- Suspend the team member
Deleted members: After deleting a team member, admins can choose to reuse that license and invite another person to the team.
Suspended members: Suspended team members instantly lose access to their Dropbox Business team account, along with all of its files, folders, and Paper docs. However, a suspended account continues to use one of the allotted team member licenses. This gives admins the option to remove the suspension later.
Delete a team member's account
- Sign in to dropbox.com with your admin account.
- Click Admin Console.
- Click the gear icon next to the name of the person you want to remove.
- Select Delete user.
- Choose whether to use the remote wipe option.
- Click Delete.
- Note: Once you've deleted a member from your team you can transfer the files to a new team member.
What happens when I delete a team member's account?
When you delete a team member's account, the following things happen:
- The team member loses access to the account
- Any shared links created on that account are disabled
- Dropbox stops syncing files to the team member's computers and mobile devices
- The team member receives an email telling them that the team admin deleted their account and that they no longer have access
You can transfer the files of a deleted account for a limited time, based on the version history length for your team (120 days for most teams).
Note: Team admins can also use remote wipe to remove files that have already been synced to Dropbox on the team member's computers or mobile devices.
When deleting a member's account, admins can transfer the deleted member's files to another team member. With account transfer, admins can move all of the files and folders in the team member's work Dropbox (as of the date of the transfer) to another person on the team. Account transfer helps preserve any sharing relationships (shared links or shared folders) so these don't break.
Admins have a limited time to use account transfer, based on the version history length for their team (120 days for most teams).
As a team admin can I delete my own account?
As the admin of a Dropbox Business team you can't remove your own account from the team. Instead, you need to make another member of your team an admin, and then have the new admin remove your account.
Can team members delete accounts?
No, Dropbox Business team members can't delete accounts. If you're a Dropbox Business team member and you'd like to delete your account, contact your Dropbox Business team admin.