If a Dropbox Business admin has accidentally deleted a team member, they have seven days to restore the user. Restoring a member reactivates the account with the same files and permissions—the account is exactly as it was before deletion. Team admins and user management admins can recover deleted users.
Restore a team member
- Sign in to dropbox.com with your admin credentials.
- Click Admin Console.
- Click Members.
- Click the Member type dropdown.
- Select Deleted.
- Click the gear icon beside the name of the member you want to restore.
- Note: Not all users can be restored. Scroll to the bottom of this article for more information.
- Click Restore member.
- Click Restore in the pop-up window.
What's restored when I recovered a deleted member?
We do our best to restore a deleted account to its previous state. This includes shared folders, files, Paper docs, groups, and all user settings.
However, we cannot guarantee that all content and settings will be restored. Deleted member restoration should be used only as backup measure. If you're unsure, it may be best to use the suspended user function first.
Is there anything that won't be restored?
Restored team members will not be added back to exception lists for some features. For example, if a member was in an exception list for enterprise mobility management (EMM), you'll need to re-add them to the exception after restoring their account.
Instructions for restoring multiple users (with the Dropbox API)
To restore a large number of team members at once, use the Dropbox Business API. There are two ways to do this:
- Use your own script to restore members with the Dropbox API
- Use the Dropbox restoration tool
What if I'm not seeing the option to restore a team member?
There are a few reasons why an admin may not see the option to restore a team member. These include:
- The member was deleted more than seven days ago. After seven days, an admin can use account transfer to transfer files to a new team member account.
- An admin already used account transfer on the deleted member's account.
- An admin has chosen to permanently delete the member.
- The member was recovered by Dropbox Support.
- The member was invited, but never joined your team.
- The member was deleted by an app that uses the v.1 of the Dropbox API.