You can search for files in your Dropbox account by file name and file extension (for example, .doc or .xsl).
To search your files:
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Click on the search bar.
- If you're searching from the Files page, the search bar will extend to fill your whole screen and will display your search results without pressing Enter.
3. Type a term into the search bar.
4. A short list of relevant content appears. To view all results, press Enter.
5. Click a file, folder or Paper doc to open it.
Note: If you have a Professional or Business account, you can also search by any keyword within your files.
Searching for a deleted file?
If you're searching for a deleted file, scroll to the bottom of the results to view files that match your search criteria.
Learn how to recover deleted files.
How to preview a file from your search results
To see a thumbnail preview of your file from your search results, simply hover over the file. You can see previews for most file types you can preview in Dropbox, except for plain text and audio files.
Notes about thumbnail previews
- You won't be able to see a search thumbnail preview for Paper docs
- You can’t hover over the dropdown menu to see previews when searching from a browser on your phone or tablet
- Image files that are smaller than 64 x 64 pixels don’t preview