If you're experiencing problems with the latest version of the Dropbox Android app, please see below for a list of common problems and their fixes in the list below.
Updating to the latest version
Some Android users have reported issues updating or auto-updating to new versions of the Dropbox Android app from Google Play (formerly known as the Android Marketplace). The Dropbox engineering team is working with Google to help resolve the issue. In the meantime, you should be able to solve the problem by following these steps:
- Press the Home button on your Android mobile device, or the button at the bottom of the device, second from the right, with a picture of a house on it.
- Tap the App menu, or the icon with the grid of small squares at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose Settings from the list of apps.
- Go to Applications > Manage Applications.
- Select the All tab
- Find the Google Play app in the list of applications.
- Press Clear Data.
- Confirm that you are removing all locally stored data from your device (don't worry, this won't affect the apps on your device or your Dropbox).
Google Play should rebuild what it needs when you run it again. Once it does, you will be able to update to the latest version of the Dropbox Android app normally.
What if I'm seeing an overlay on the Dropbox app?
Overlay issues are usually caused by other applications installed on your Android device. To resolve this issue, try disabling the app that is causing the overlay. This will allow you to link your app to Dropbox successfully by pressing the Allow button. You can then re-enable the overlay app again.
Why does Android say that "Sync is off" for my Dropbox?
Android will indicate that Dropbox "Sync is off" in the Android Accounts and Sync settings by default. You can safely ignore this setting—it relates to your device settings, and not to the Dropbox app's settings. The settings for the Dropbox app are contained within the Dropbox app itself.
For issues logging in to Dropbox
If you're having problems signing in to Dropbox, or downloading and uploading files once you've signed in, installing the latest version of the Dropbox Android app may resolve these problems.
If you're noticing a problem with the Dropbox Android app that is not listed here, open a support ticket and send in the details, and we'll look into it.