As with many online services, you must have an active email address in order to create a Dropbox account. Dropbox also requires that you have access to this email address to change your account password. This security procedure allows us to protect your account against unauthorized access.
If you've lost the password to the email address associated with your Dropbox account, we cannot help you regain account access. However, there are some other methods you can try to regain access.
Regaining Dropbox account access when you still have your account password
If you've lost access to the email address associated with your Dropbox account but still remember your password, try to sign in to your Dropbox account and then immediately change your email address.
Contact your email service provider
If you've lost access to your email address (due to a lost password, or any other reason), we recommend that you try contacting your email service provider (ESP) to regain access to your email account.
Only your ESP would have the ability and authorization to help you regain access to your email address. Dropbox is not an ESP, and cannot contact ESPs on your behalf.
Regaining Dropbox account access after an automatic password reset
Dropbox will occasionally reset passwords as a proactive security measure to protect accounts. To know if this is the issue affecting your account, try signing in to your Dropbox account again, and comparing the message you see to this error message.
- If you don't see this error message, and you don't have access to the email address or password on your Dropbox account, then we can't help you regain access to that account
- If you do see this error message, and you've already received an email response from us, reply to that email and explain that you're seeing this error message
If your password has expired on your personal Dropbox account, you can reset your password by following these instructions:
- Try to log in to dropbox.com or the Dropbox app with your expired password.
- Click I can’t recover my account using this page at the bottom.
- Click Yes.
- Click Send notifications. This will send notifications to all your linked devices.
- When you see the notification on your linked device, click Details.
- Click Continue (web) or Yes (mobile).
- Enter your new email address.
- Click Submit.
You’ll receive a password reset link in your new email’s inbox. Click Reset password. Then, enter your new password and click Submit.
After you reset your password, your Dropbox account email will be switched to your new email.
What to do if none of the above has worked
As mentioned in this article, if you have lost access to the email address on your Dropbox account and do not know the password, then for security reasons we cannot help you regain access to that account. Only your email service provider (ESP) can help you regain access to an email account. If your ESP is able to help you regain access, you can then request a password reset link for your Dropbox account.