We now allow some users to link up to two computers to their Dropbox accounts. This may be true if:
- You have a Dropbox Basic (free) account
- You live in one of the countries where we have enabled this limit
There is no limit to the number of mobile devices you can link, and you can still access your account without limitation on dropbox.com.
If you're prompted to unlink a computer, you can do so, or you can upgrade to Dropbox Plus. There's no limit on the number of computers you can connect with Dropbox Plus.
What if I'm seeing a notification window about syncing computers to Dropbox?
If you're seeing a notification window about syncing more computers to Dropbox, there are three options:
- Upgrade your Dropbox. You're prompted to upgrade to Dropbox Plus, which removes the limit on the number of computers you can connect.
- Choose 2 computers. You're shown each of the computers connected to your Dropbox, and prompted to select two to continue syncing.
- Don't sync this computer. You're able to cancel connecting this computer to Dropbox.
What if I'm not able to upgrade my account?
If you need to sync a new computer but can't upgrade your account, you can tell Dropbox which two computers you'd like to sync (including the new computer). Any other computers you have linked to your Dropbox will then stop syncing.
Will I lose data if I unlink some computers?
No. Unlinking computers will not remove any of your files from Dropbox. All of your files are still accessible on the two remaining linked computers, and on dropbox.com.
What if I see computers I don't recognize linked to my account?
If you see computers you don't recognize linked to your Dropbox, first, consider whether these are old computers that you no longer use. These may be computers you owned, or computers you used temporarily and accidentally connected to Dropbox.
Also consider that the same computer may be listed more than once but with a different name. Lastly, consider that some of your computers may be listed more than once if you ever had to reinstall Dropbox.