How do I leave a shared folder?
Keep in mind that when you leave a shared folder, it still lives in the Dropbox accounts of other members. If you're the owner of a shared folder, you may want to unshare the folder or remove members instead.
If you're having trouble viewing the shared folder options window, please see the troubleshooting tips at the bottom of this article.
Leave a shared folder
- Sign in to the Dropbox website.
- Select the Sharing tab from the sidebar on the left.
- Click the Options link to the right of the shared folder.
- Click the the X beside your name.
A pop-up message will ask you to confirm your choice and give you the option to keep a copy of the folder and its files on your hard drive.
Note: If you try to leave a shared folder but you are the folder owner, an error message will appear prompting you to first transfer ownership.
What if I'm not seeing the shared folder options window?
If you'd like to continue using the extension, you may be able to create an exception for Dropbox or add https://www.dropbox.com to a "whitelist." Unfortunately, not all extensions support this functionality.
If you're using a Windows computer, you can leave a shared folder from the Dropbox desktop app.
- Right-click the shared folder.
- Select Shared folder settings....
- Click the Leave folder... button.