Dropbox is a leading global collaboration platform that's transforming the way people work together, from the smallest business to the largest enterprise. With more than 500 million registered users across more than 180 countries, our mission is to unleash the world’s creative energy by designing a more enlightened way of working.
Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, Dropbox has more than 12 offices around the world.
Our Research & Design team crafts delightful experiences that make people's lives easier. We're a close-knit, collaborative group, guided by a highly iterative user-centered design process. Combining research, data, and thoughtful critique, we're discovering needs and solving fundamental problems that impact work and life for millions of people around the world.
Our Research Operations team sets the stage for UX researchers to understand what matters most to our customers, and uncover actionable insights that shape how we design and build products and elevate the Dropbox experience. In this role, you’ll lead a team of UX research coordinators, whose core objective is to own the full cycle participant recruitment process. Our mission is to create a thoughtful, targeted, and effective participant recruitment strategy, and deliver high quality recruits for the purposes of qualitative research studies. In a nutshell, your role is to make sure all facets of the participant recruitment lifecycle, and its experience from the perspective of participants, researchers, and your team of coordinators is delightful & running smoothly. You and your team play a critical role in the product development lifecycle and are integral at turning customers into advocates.
- Manage a small team of research coordinators (3 full time employees to start with) - including responsibility for hiring, onboarding, performance management & goal oriented career development. Onboard & manage additional contractors as needed to keep pace with the ebbs and flows of research study volume
- Partner with research leads across multiple product areas and locations to understand and clarify upcoming research needs, advise on feasibility and timelines, and leverage that insight to triage incoming recruitment requests and allocate team resources effectively
- Organize and orchestrate all phases of the participant recruitment lifecycle
- Communicate regularly and transparently with the research team on topics related to recruitment capacity, team assignments, & project status - e.g., project dashboards, weekly resource meetings, quarterly newsletters, etc. - using managed systems where possible
- Establish and promote high-quality craft, methods, and processes to maximize our Research Coordinator team’s impact and effectiveness.
- Ensure that participant recruitment practices are in compliance with company policies and that new policies are adopted as quickly as possible.
- Facilitate the vendor onboarding to payment process with partners in Security, Legal, Privacy, Procurement, and Finance within established SLAs. Resolve payment problems with suppliers and stakeholders if necessary.
- Manage day-to-day escalations and troubleshooting of recruitment challenges as appropriate
- Through project retrospectives and other methods, proactively surface challenges and opportunities for improving results, communication, workflows, and processes between Researchers and Research Coordinators. Define and drive programs that solve for them.
- Identify needs with regards to process, tools, documentation - and implement or drive required changes to make sure researchers are working at optimum efficiency
- Manage research lab spaces, forecast needs, train researchers on using space and technologies
- Develop and maintain research coordinator team documentation including training materials, best practices and commonly used resources
- Advocate for strategic investments in Research Ops, including through the budget and headcount planning process
- Contribute to development and evaluation of Research Operations team OKRs
- Execute on strategic initiatives that increase the broader research team’s impact (e.g., creating and managing panels, promoting insights sharing, owning the research coordinator career framework, etc)
- Advocate for the role, impact and value of Research Coordinators within Design & Research
- Reinforce the Research Ops team's mission, keeping it aligned with the broader vision of the Design Operations team, and Design & Research org at large.
- Share research operations best practices & new techniques with the broader team
- Interest in / passion for a career in Research Operations and/or Design Operations
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in or with an in-house User Research team in the tech industry, and with a project management or operations focus
- Familiarity with a wide variety of qualitative and some quantitative research methods, and knowledge of when and how to recruit participants to match the needs of research studies - this includes up-front generative research to identify new opportunities, concept evaluation and usability studies, and concept evaluation
- Experience driving end to end UX research participant recruitment projects. Specifically this should include - study design, developing and managing to project plans, developing screeners, querying customer databases, programming surveys, developing and managing panels, coordinating logistics (schedules, facilities, equipment), paying and tracking incentives.
- Experience leading a team to deliver high quality recruits to established criteria & milestones. Specifically, the desired candidate will have 1+ year managing a team of RC’s or otherwise have examples of how they’ve participating in hiring, onboarding and mentoring of other RCs.
- Systems thinker with excellence in process analysis and track record of improving processes as a team scales, resulting in greater operational efficiency and team productivity
- Demonstrated service-oriented mindset - you seek to understand, adapt to shifting priorities, and are empathetic while resilient while in negotiating tradeoff with stakeholders
- Advanced relationship-building skills that promote trusted partnerships with functions across the org that your team relies on - Legal, Privacy, Security, Procurement, Finance, etc.
- Strong prioritization skills - able to determine what’s feasible given time and resource requirements, distinguish critical from non-critical issues and set team focus and priorities accordingly.
- Advanced verbal and visual communication skills - ability to explain complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different functions/groups/levels of the organization
- Advanced change management skills - ability to bring others along, communicate and gain buy in on your ideas, rationale, and specifics of approach - particularly as applied to any new/improved business or team practices
- Experience with UX research tools, e.g., Qualtrics, Usertesting.com, DScout, Ethnio, Respondent, Sharpr or other insights systems, etc - sufficient to onboard your team members in when & how to use them
- Experience with SQL database queries
- Experience with online project & resource management tools, e.g., JIRA, Asana, Trello, Monday
- Experience with contract management, procurement, and expense management systems
- Experience creating processes with other functions - i.e. finance, legal, procurement, security
- Experience in data privacy policies (GDPR, etc.)
- Experience onboarding and managing relationships with vendors, including participation in vendor sourcing & selection, drafting SOWs, negotiating scope, cost, and other business terms with suppliers
Benefits and Perks
- 100% company paid individual medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage
- 401k + company match
- Market competitive total compensation package
- Free Dropbox space for your friends and family
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Generous vacation policy
- 10 company paid holidays
- Volunteer time off
- Company sponsored tech talks (technology and other relevant professional topics)
Dropbox is an equal opportunity employer. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is our support for members and allies of internal groups like Asians at Dropbox, BlackDropboxers, Latinx, Pridebox (LGBTQ), Vets at Dropbox, Women at Dropbox, ATX Diversity (based in Austin, Texas) and the Dropbox Empowerment Network (based in Dublin, Ireland).