If you're the owner of a shared folder, you can transfer ownership to another member by changing the folder's options on the Dropbox website. Once ownership is transferred, the new owner will be the only person who can unshare the folder or remove members.
Note: You must be the current owner of a shared folder to transfer ownership. By default, the original creator of a shared folder is the owner.
You can also set roles and permissions for members of your shared folders.
Transfer ownership of a shared folder
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Click Files.
- Click Sharing.
- Under the Folders tab, scroll to the Folders in your Dropbox section.
- Click the … (ellipsis) to the right of the folder name.
- Click Share.
- Click the dropdown arrow to the right of the name of the team member you'd like to transfer ownership to.
- Select Make owner and confirm your choice.
What do I do if an owner leaves a shared folder?
The owner is likely the person who originally invited you to the shared folder. If you don't see an owner for a shared folder, the owner may have already left it. If this happens you can contact the original owner and ask him or her to first add the folder back to their Dropbox, and then transfer ownership to you.
If this solution isn't feasible, you can:
- Create a new shared folder.
- Drag the files from the old folder to this new folder.
- Re-invite members of the old shared folder to this new shared folder.
What if I already left the folder? Can I still transfer ownership?
If you're the owner of a shared folder and leave it without transferring ownership, the shared folder will be without an owner. In that case, you can always add the shared folder back to your Dropbox account and be reinstated as the owner. You can then transfer ownership of the folder using the steps listed earlier in this article.
Change the owner of a folder on your desktop
On some computers you can change the owner of a folder from the Dropbox desktop app. If you haven't already, download the desktop app.
Click the dropdown menu beside Show instructions for, and select the computer operating system that you’d like to see instructions for: